Friday, August 18, 2017

Kind of Cheesy, But I Believe It’s True:

As I walked into the Amsterdam Cheese Museum, my senses were blasted by the smells and visual presentation of about fifteen different types of cheese scattered along the walls, tables, and counter tops of this small shop. A certain mustard shaded yellow cheese that had been aged for six years caught my eye and as I tasted it, I found it more delicious than I could have even imagined. The pieces were broken off in small and large chunks to be taken as teasers. I normally try to prefer someone else to what is the larger portion, but in this instance I was going big, because I was not going home. (If you didn’t get that joke, don’t worry. It wasn’t very funny). After trying a few more, I decided on a brick about the size of a piece of pie. I thought to myself, I’m in Amsterdam and may never get the chance again to grab Dutch cheese that has been aged for six years and then cut right here in its place of birth and maturation. Plus, I thought again, this will be a great little snack for Sudan, and if I take it easy, it should last me a while. 

Fast forward a few days, now to the night before I leave Entebbe, and as I was packing, I picked up the cheese and immediately thought of Charles, the man who manages the guesthouse I am staying at. The thought crossed my mind, he has been so accommodating, and I bet he would appreciate this much more than I will. I immediately took the short stroll up to the main building, paper bag in hand, feeling a little strange for doing this, but found Charles and said, Do you like cheese? He laughed and replied in an outstanding accent I wish I could replicate, “Did someone on the staff tell you this? How did you know? I love cheese!” We both smiled and laughed and I said, like you told me earlier, “May God lead the way,” and I believe that He did; He knows what we need before we even ask. He gave me a big hug, said goodnight, and as we walked off and parted ways, he said, “I’m going to savor every part of this, Josh.”


As I write this, my prayer for all of us is that we will allow God to lead the way. As we feel the tug on our heart to share whatever it is, whether it be our time or a smile, a glass of water or a block of cheese. May we give with open and loving hands, just as our Father has so wonderfully given to us.

No comments: